The Salem Human Resources Department strives to administer comprehensive programs aimed at attracting and retaining a productive and healthy workforce. Our services include:
- Providing Employment Opportunities
- Developing training programs designed to meet the futuristic needs of the city's workforce
- Developing human resources policies that meet the needs of the organization and comply with all applicable regulations
- Administering a Comprehensive Classification and Compensation Program which attracts and retains applicants
- Promoting employee health, safety, and wellness
- Serves as a consultant to city department employees and citizens, to meet the changing needs of the organization and workforce.
To serve our customers, through comprehensive training and wellness programs that are intended to meet the changing needs of the community and attract and retain a diverse and high-quality workforce.
- Does the City have a job hot line?
No, we do not, but you may call us at 540-375-3060, or visit our web-site at http://www.salemva.gov.
- How do I get to your office?
We are located at 114 North Broad Street, Salem, VA.
- Where do you advertise your jobs?
City Hall, the Local Government Access Channel 18, VEC, and our website.
- How often are jobs posted?
Jobs are posted on Tuesdays.
- What are your office hours?
Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Should I send a resume with my job application?
You may submit a resume with your application for any posted job.
- Is the City's job application online?
Yes. A printable application is available. Go to Employment Opportunities and click on job application.
- What is the City's e-mail address for Human Resources?
- What are the qualifications for positions posted?
- I was told a job would be opening soon. May I turn in an application for the position?
No, applications are accepted for current openings only.
- What if I am selected?
The hiring department will call or send a letter offering employment to you. For most positions, a drug screening will also be required. Candidates are promptly notified once the City receives the test results.
- What if I am not selected?
Your application will remain active for ninety (90) calendar days. If you wish to apply for other positions that come open in this period of time, you will need to call, email, or stop by our office to let us know of your interest in applying. You will also need to keep us informed of any change of address or telephone numbers during this ninety (90) day period.